Now that we've done our first Christmas with Evy, I've thought more about what I want our traditions to look like. I realized over this weekend that I crave some predictability around the holidays, and traditions are extremely important to me. For some reason, this Christmas really solidifed my need for Kurt, Evy, and I to have special things that we will do every year. So, here is my list of traditions that we hope to incorporate from now on:
Sometime in December:
- Look at Christmas lights in pajamas
- Bake and decorate Christmas cookies
- Watch the classic animations, Holiday Inn, Christmas in Connecticut, White Christmas, and Disney's A Christmas Carol
- Observe Advent
- Host a party (or two!)
- Attend the Cape Girardeau Christmas Parade
- Sponsor an Angel Tree child
- Send out a Christmas card and letter
- Watch one of the classic holiday movies with hot chocolate and snacks
- Leave out milk and cookies for Santa
- Read the Christmas story
- Attend the Christmas Eve service (if possible)
- Open family gifts
- Wear a new pair of Christmas pajamas
- Santa gifts and stockings
- Have breakfast together as a family
I know there are more that will probably come to mind, but I think this is a reasonable list to aim for. Christmas is too important to me for it to be unpredictable and chaotic. I look forward to these traditions as our family grows!
On my 101 in 1001 goals list, I left room for a goal that was to be determined. I've settled on what that should be! My goal is to print out pictures for albums and also create digital photobooks from the time Kurt and I met (which was 4 years ago). I'm going to try and do a "year in pictures" book for each year, just hitting the highlights of the year. This is a lengthy and lofty goal, but I feel like organizing my pictures would really make me feel better. So that's what I'm going to start working on! Kurt's mom is coming to visit for a weekend in January, and I plan on starting then. Which program do you recommend using for photobooks? I like Shutterfly, but I want to know what else is out there and how they compare. So your opinions are needed!
I hope you're enjoying the last days of 2009!